ITINERARY:
Day 1: Singapore - Male
Day 2: Male - Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Day 3: Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Day 4: Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Day 5: Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Day 6: Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Day 7: Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Day 8: Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Day 9: Conrad Maldives Rangali Island - Male
Day 10: Male - Singapore
DAY 1 (19 June 2009, Friday)
When Singapore Airlines launched the super saver rates of S$625/nett for a return ticket to Male (capital of Maldives), I snapped on the opportunity to revisit the Conrad Maldives Rangali Island. Singapore Airlines being the only direct flight from Singapore to Male, flies at night.
On arrival in Male Airport at 2200hrs, I was greeted by the airport representative from Conrad at counter 49.



He handled my luggage and sent me on a Dhoni boat to get to Male town from Male Airport Island. The rocky boat ride took 7mins and cost US$1 per person. I was then transferred to the House Clover Hotel in Male, where I had to put up for a night before catching the seaplane to the resort the next morning.
The hotel looks pretty clean and decent as it was opened less than a year ago.



Smoking is not allowed in the room! Don't even think about it!!!

DAY 2 (20 June 2009, Saturday)
I got up early in the morning at 0700hrs to catch the sunrise and to explore the world’s most populated capital.

The roads/lanes are narrow and buildings are cramped and colourful. It was an interesting sight.



Chanhanee Magu shopping street

Dhoni fishing boats at the jetty

The morning market

Jumhooree Maidan

Mosque

By 0845hrs, the Conrad representative came to my hotel to ensure that I get back to the ferry terminal for the Dhoni boat ride to Male Airport. At the Male seaport terminal, Conrad guests get to use the exclusive Conrad lounge where light refreshments are served, and guests receive a complimentary back massage, as well as water and ear plugs.

My boarding pass and the seaplane


Shortly later, the seaplane is ready for boarding.


Over the airport island

Ariel view of Male town

It was a scenic 30min seaplane flight over the Indian Ocean with thousands of atolls.


Rangali Island

On arrival at Rangali Island


I was then greeted by Akane, my Island Host, on arrival at the resort. She briefed me about the island, the F&B outlets, everything that the resort has to offer, as well as checked me into my Beach Villa.
The Beach Villa offer up to 150 square metres of ocean-front living, beach views, a private terrace and a wonderful outdoor garden-bathroom. It boast a natural décor and local touches that have a true Maldivian feel.
Villa 204 letterbox and entrance

The room in the Beach Villa


Complimentary sparkling wine and fruit basket

'Welcome back'

Nesspresso coffee machine and minibar

Washing basin

Open concept rainshower

Thatched bathing pavillion

Seaview outdoor terrace with sun loungers

Manage to see Nasru Dean (previously Front Office Manager of the Conrad Maldives) off on his last day at the island. He has been transferred to the Hilton Maldives Iru Fushi as the new Operations Manager when the hotel opens on 01 July 2009. So it was a farewell meeting at the seaplane platform!

I had dinner at my favourite restaurant that evening, at Vilu Restaurant.


Cosmopolitan Martini

Terraine of foie gras

Fillet of bison

It was a starry night at the island, on an amazingly clear night. I had wanted to do a star trail shoot, but failed as the clouds moved in half way through my shoot. So the star trail ended pre-maturely. The only photo that I manage to show is the starry night.

DAY 3 (21 June 2009, Sunday)
I got up for breakfast at Atoll Market before signing up for a stretching class at the Fitness Centre. The 1hr class gave me some really good stretches all over my body. This proceeded with a short gym session, and then a beach table tennis session with one of the fitness centre staff.
As the weather in the evening is pretty decent, I’ve decided that I would like to snorkel at the House Reef about 100m offshore from the island. I was pretty impressed by colourful reef fishes in the shallow waters.

Lined Surgeonfish

Following a great snorkel trip, I had dinner ala alfresco style at the Atoll Market right under another night of clear beautiful night filled with stars. It's a semi-buffet dinner where the appetizers are on buffet style, and the main course and desserts can be chosen from the menu.
Tenderloin steak

Pana cota

It was another night of clear sky filled with stars, an amazing night extremely ideal for star trails shoot. This time after spending about 2hours in the chilling night, I managed to get a decent shot of the star trails. Shot at ISO 1000, f/4, 60s, for a 1hr exposure.

DAY 4 (22 June 2009, Monday)
The sunrise snorkeling excursion began at 0700hrs where the speed boat took us to the snorkel site in the middle of the Indian Ocean on a scenic ride.

When the boat arrived at the snorkel site, we jumped off the boat and within moments, we saw sea turtles…. 3 of it to be exact! There were swimming within 2m of us! Amazing experience!


The second snorkel site was however less interesting.


Breakfast was served on the boat prior to the third snorkel trip.

The third snorkel trip was shorter as most of us were already tired.

Back at the resort, I went over to Atoll Market for some coffee, before proceeding over to the dive centre for a pre-arranged check-dive. The check-dive is compulsory, though complimentary, as to ensure that we still remember our safety drills and procedure. Charlene took us for the check-dive, and demonstrated a couple of drills at 9m depth, before we need to show her that we are capable of doing it. After that, it was a leisure swim around Rangali Lagoon where we saw the underwater structure of Ithaa Undersea restaurant. We managed to spot a sea turtle as well.
At 1500hrs, it was the first ‘real’ dive in the ocean. The Dhoni boat trip took 20mins to get to Madiva Thila dive site.


Common lionfish

Yellow margin moray eel

Bandit moray eel

Blackside hawkfish

Orange anthias

Coral reefs

Back at the resort, I managed to get a quick shower, and head off to the Spa Retreat for a 1hr massage and scrub package treatment. It was pure luxury the moment we stepped into the Spa Retreat that was built over the water.




Dark aisle to the treatment room

The spa treatment villa

Nice toilet view!

Bath tub over the water!

To begin with, I changed into a bathrobe and sat down on the cushioned chair where the masseurs cleaned and scrubbed my feet in a warm tub of water, rubbing it with salt. I was then told to select an aroma oil for my massage. I chose my favourite eucalyptus scented oil.

Gentle music and scented aroma oil soon flowed over my back. It was a soothing session where I had some time to catch up with my missing sleep. In no time, the 1hr session is over.
I woke with feeling fresh with a vibrant sunset at the Spa Water Villas.

The Mandhoo Spa Restaurant boost a healthy range of food and beverages. You get to choose half portion or full portion on the menu, and the food are generally low fat, low chlorestrol, low calories, etc!!!
Baked local tiger prawns gravlax style

Nori crusted beef tenderloin

Honey cheese cake

DAY 5 (23 June 2009, Tueday)
After an easing massage yesterday, I slept early, but got up before even the sunrise today. Not wanting to miss a sunrise opportunity, I jumped out of bed went out to catch the first light.



Cook to order breakfast at Mandhoo Spa Restaurant instead of the usual breakfast at Atoll Market.



It was a beautiful sunny day and the entire island's colours suddenly seemed to light up nicely.
The bridge leading to the Spa Water Villas


The spa water villas




Lazy hammock

This is everyone's favourite tree on the island. Most of them loves hugging the tree or hanging on the tree for photos!


Here's a good example!!!

The infinity pool overlooking Sunset Grill restaurant, and the Indian Ocean.

In the afternoon, I met up with Kevin Klotzbucher (Revenue Manager) for a drink and to “catch up” at the Rangali Bar. Following that, I was fortunate to witness a lovely Japanese couple having their wedding ceremony at the resort.





On every Tuesday evening, the management team welcomes everyone for a get-together cocktail reception session at the infinity pool area. By interacting with hotel guests, the team gathers feedbacks/compliments.
Lovely colours in the evening

DAY 6 (24 June 2009, Wednesday)
After breakfast at Atoll Market, I went to the Spa Retreat for a 90mins hotstone massage. Hot stone massage is a specialty massage that uses smooth, heated stones. They are often basalt, a black volcanic rock that absorbs and retains heat well, but they can be other types. The heat is both deeply relaxing and helps tight muscles release. As usual, the service standards are extrememly good.
In the evening, I signed up for the candlelight meditation session where the Indian instructor taught us how to relax and clear our mind so that we can have a relaxing night of good sleep. It was a pretty mind-clearing experience!
For dinner at the Sunset Grill, their house speciality is the grilled seafood.

Freshly shrucked oysters

Grilled scallops

Grilled Maldivian lobster at US$19+/100g!!!

Truffle mousse

DAY 7 (25 June 2009, Thursday)
I had an early breakfast at Atoll Market today and went for a 2 tank dive at Barracuda Point and Kahanbu Thila dive sites at 0900hrs. Here's some underwater shots for the 2 dives.
Pufferfish

Nudi branch

Striped remora

Lobster

Kashmir snapper

Snapper

Starfish & Redtoothed triggerfish

Blackside Hawkfish

Oriental Sweetlips

On the bridge crossing to the other island, I managed to capture the sunset over the Deluxe Water Villa.

Dinner at Vilu is always a beautiful affair watching sunset and having the seabreeze gently whispering over your face.


'Bonbons Piment' of lentils & prawns

Every Thursday night, the resort organises the 'Casino Night' at Rangali Bar. It's a fun-filled night with games like Roulette and Blackjack, but of course, its purely for fun, and no money is involved.
Just within Rangali Bar, the Wine Bar is having a chocolate affair night, where chocolates and wine pairing are involved.

DAY 8 (26 June 2009, Friday)
It was another lazy on the island, having no plans at all after breakfast.
Walking around on the Water Villa Island, I gathered some shots of the Over-the-Water Spa, where guests gets complimentary use of the sea view jacuzzi.



The Deluxe Water Villas

The Superior Water Villas

A common sight on the island, the Grey Heron

The Water Villas during sunset


A romantic private dining on the beach overlooking sunset

The most luxurious US$8000++ per room night villa, the Sunset Water Villa.



After sundown, the sky soon turned red and the beautiful reddish-blue tint fills the sky.

Bar of smoked salmon at Vilu Restaurant as appetizer

The main is Cari of fresh gambas

DAY 9 (27 June 2009, Saturday)
Time passes quickly, and I'm already on my last day at the resort. I spent some time packing my stuffs and headed to the seaplane platform for the 1645hrs seaplane back to Male International Airport for my connecting flight on SQ451 back to Singapore.
Halfway through my dinner at the airport, I received an SMS from Singapore Airlines, noting me that the SQ451 flight has been delayed from 2315hrs to 0145hrs!! I was certainly pissed, knowing that there is nothing I can do at the airport while waiting for the delayed flight.
DAY 10 (28 June 2009, Sunday)
To make things worse, there is no sight of the flight at 0145hrs. Eventually, it touched down at 0200hrs for passengers on arrival, and it departed Male at 0230hrs for Singapore.........
MORE PHOTOS
Part 1
Part 2
VIDEO
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island 2009
TRAVEL GUIDES / NEWS / MAGAZINES
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
http://conradhotels1.hilton.com/en/ch/hotels/index.do?ctyhocn=MLEHICI
http://www.hiltonworldresorts.com/Resorts/Maldives/gallery/index.html
http://www.conradmaldivesrangali.com/
http://www.hoteltravel.com/maldives/maldives/hilton_maldives_rangali.htm
Ithaa Underwater Restaurant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRXImYSisXc&feature=related
Tourism in Maldives
http://www.tourisminmaldives.com/maldives-holidays/maldives-facts.html
Maldives Tourism
http://www.maldivestourism.net/
My Maldives Travel Guide
http://www.mymaldives.com/
Maldives - The sunny side of life
http://www.visitmaldives.com/
Maldives.com
http://www.maldives.com/
Lonely Planet Maldives
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/maldives/
Maldives - Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maldives
Maldivian Air Taxi
http://www.maldivianairtaxi.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maldivian_Air_Taxi
Sub Aqua Dive Centre
http://195.170.100.137/kunden/22/index.php
TRIP REPORTS & BLOGS
Navy1048's blog
http://navy1048.blogspot.com/2008/02/kandy-1-day-tour.html
MAPS
http://www.mapsofworld.com/maldives/
http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/places/maps/map_country_maldives.html
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/maps/asia/maldives/