Sunday, 20 July 2008

Colourful Ceylon & Paradise in Maldives

ITINERARY:

Day 1: Singapore - Negombo
Day 2: Negombo - Colombo
Day 3: Colombo - Kandy - Colombo
Day 4: Colombo - Male - Conrad Maldives
Day 5: Conrad Maldives
Day 6: Conrad Maldives
Day 7: Conrad Maldives
Day 8: Conrad Maldives
Day 9: Conrad Maldives - Male - Colombo - Singapore

Route Map



TRIP INTRODUCTION

The Maldives is made of 1,190 magical islands. Through a bird’s eye view, see vivid shades of blue, turquoise, green, and white, as if it was a carefully illustrated painting placed by nature. It is simply breathtaking, offering anyone the holiday of a lifetime. Pure white sandy beaches and clear blue seas are guaranteed, together with a long held Maldivian tradition of island hospitality.

The only direct flight from Singapore to Male (capital of Maldives) is via Singapore Airlines on a night flight. Arriving late at night means that I'll have to get an accomodation at Male Town for that night before catching the morning seaplane to my resort on Rangali Island in South Ari Atoll.

This made me opted for a connecting flight to Colombo, via Cathay Pacific, at just a fraction of the price. For a small island, Sri Lanka has several nicknames: Serendib, Ceylon, Teardrop of India, Resplendent Isle, Island of Dharma, Pearl of the Orient. This colourful collection reveals its richness and beauty, and the intensity of the affection it evokes in its visitors.



DAY 1 (11 July 2008, Friday)

A half-empty fight CX711 got me to Katanuyake in about 3.5hrs. The moment I stepped out of the restricted area in the airport, I was approached by several 'helpful' guys who claimed that there aren't any taxis outside, and they had offered to send me to the hotel of my choice. Of course, having read about such scams online prior to the trip, I ignored all of them and proceeded straight outside the airport to get a taxi transfer to Silver Sands Hotel in Negombo.


If you are looking for the ideal home-away from home accommodation, situated in a peaceful environment and just 20 minutes from the Katanuyake airport, Hotel Silver Sands is a clean, simple, no-frills hotel for you. This hotel has a Moorish touch with its arched walkways and central courtyard garden, while the room has a patio and a nice area by the beach for a beer.





DAY 2 (12 July 2008, Saturday)

I got up early to explore Negombo town, only to be disappointed by the peaceful beach town to be so quiet that I couldn't find a single F&B outlet for breakfast. I walked back to the hotel eventually to settle for breakfast at the hotel itself.

Negombo Beach


As the beach town is unusually quieter than I expected, I decided to leave Negombo and head to the Negombo Railway Station for a train ride to Colombo. The 5 minutes 3-wheeler ride from the hotel to the station cost Rs150 (S$2), while the 1.5hrs train ride from Negombo to Colombo cost just Rs45 (S$0.60)!

Negombo Railway Station


Ticketing counter


Railway platform


The train is however bumpy and has no air-conditioning. The locals are somewhat quite friendly and helpful. As the seats have all been taken up, I left my luggage on the ground and was standing by the side. Not long later, a women on the right side asked some of the passengers on the left side to make some space for me to sit, and these locals on the left side just moved and created some empty space for me. I was impressed with their local hospitality!


The boring 1.5hrs train finally arrived at Colombo Fort Station and I took a 10 minutes walk to the Hilton Colombo.



Plenty of 3-wheelers outside Colombo Fort Railway Station


One of the many stalls in Colombo


Colombo town is pretty heavily guarded by police and army forces with road blocks and army posts at almost every corner, especially so when a second bomb explosion last month injured 27 commuters during the morning rush hour on the train nine days after an explosion on a crowded train killed 9 people and injured around 80.

After checking in at the Hilton Colombo, I had a nice clean shower and decided to hang around the hotel for the rest of the day. Here is the room I had.




View of the beach from my room


View of Colombo Town


This is the hotel lobby


Spoons Restaurant


I've also had a chance to meet the Front Office Manager for a short coffee session at the Executive Lounge. We've known for years, but it's the first time that we met in person. He's offered me Executive Luonge access for the hotel stay, and had arranged for me for a day tour to Kandy with a private guide.



DAY 3 (13 July 2008, Sunday)

I got up at 0545hrs to grab a quick breakfast and joined Christie, my guide, for a day trip to Kandy at 0630hrs. About 80km from Colombo, we stopped to visit the Elephant Orphanage at Pinnawela. Pinnawela elephant orphanage has grown to become one of the most popular attractions of Sri Lanka as is regarded as the biggest herd of captive elephants in the world. There are about 3,000 elephants, with some 110 people employed to care for the herd feeding them with 14,000 kg of food every day.



It is an orphanage for baby elephants set up by the department of National Zoological Gardens. The Orphanage was established to feed, nurse and house young elephants found abandoned by their mothers. Other inmates are those found displaced from their natural environs by development projects or those found wounded. Among the elephants is one that lost a foot when it stepped on a mine.

This one is blind and is totally reliant on humans.


Baby elephant feeding time.



After another hour's drive, Christie stopped by at the Spice Garden in Mawanella for me to see the different spices, which Sri Lanka is famous for. The guide at the garden introduced me to different spices and shown how some of these spices are grown and processed. Somehow the guide tried to push for some sales of the spiced medicine at the end of the tour, and I had to refuse him politely.

We also stopped by at the Tea factory and plantation where I was shown around the factory on how these tea leaves are made.


The leaves are blown dry


In the broiler room


Drying by machine


Tea leave colour sorter


The end product that is for sale


Finally, we arrived in Kandy by noon and Christie brought me to the Peradeniya Botanical Gardens. This botanical garden was first built as a pleasure garden by a Sinhala King and was expanded by the British. It is 147 acres in extent and provides a remarkable variety of trees, plants and flowers. Due to the extremly humid weather, I decided not to visit the Botanical Gardens

He then brought me to the top of the hill for a bird's eye view of the entire Kandy Town.


Kandy is also known as the cultural capital of Sri Lanka. This sacred Buddhist site, popularly known as the city of Senkadagalapura, was the last capital of the Sinhala kings. It is also the site of the Temple of the Tooth Relic (the sacred tooth of the Buddha), which is a famous pilgrimage site.





This is where the buddha tooth relic is kept


We had lunch at Tea Fotress Restaurant before proceeding back to Hilton Colombo on a 2.5hrs road trip where I slept almost throughout the journey.



DAY 4 (14 July 2008, Monday)

This is the day I have been waiting for! Christie was again my chauffeur to send me to Katanuyake airport for my flight to Male, Maldives. He was there waiting for me at the hotel lobby at 0500hrs as agreed.

Airport security is super tight. Cars were quite thoroughly checked on entering the airport compound. On entering the airport building, all luggages have to be scanned and passengers have to walked through the metal detector gate. I checked in, got myself through the immigration checkpoint, and then onto the waiting area. There, another tight body and hand carry luggage check is done. All passengers have to remove their shoes, belts, handphone, lighters, etc to be put through the x-ray machine for scanning.

In about an hour's time, I arrived in Male International Airport in Maldives. The airport is on an island by itself.


While Male Town is on another island by itself about 2km from the airport.


Arriving at Male International airport, I proceed to Counter 49/50 for check in.


My seaplane tickets were already prepared and without further delay, the counter staff got hold of my luggage and check them into the seaplane baggage queue and directed me to a private limo.

I was transported to the private Conrad lounge while waiting for my seaplane to the resort. There were refreshments, light snacks, few gym equipments, and of course the ever-friendly Conrad staffs to assist me with almost anything.



The seaplane is operated by Maldivian Air Taxi.



My boarding pass and flight to Conrad Maldives Rangali Island.


The twin-otter seaplane is is powered by 2 engines, designed with it’s primary role of being short take off and landing combined with low altitude flying being the ideal and most popular mode of transport for resorts located in atolls far off from the Male International Airport. It has a 15 seater configuration, excluding a pilot, a co-pilot, and an assistant.


The funny thing is that all pilots wear shorts and are barefoot when they fly!


A bird's eye view of the 1,190 atolls (islands) of Maldives with vivid shades of blue, turquoise, green, and white.



As I saw my GPS altitute descending, I looked out of the window and saw the Rangali Island awaiting. I knew that this must be the Conrad Maldives Resort.


On arrival at the arrival/departure platform, I was greeted by my Island Host, Huzam, who is taking care of me throughout my entire stay on the island.



As we walked to the main lounge, he verbally orientated me about the island, the F&B outlets, the activities offered by the resort, etc. This is where the Front Desk is, very sandy & beach-like.


The lobby area


You can post your letters here... its a real letter box!


Before I knew, I was greeted at the by Dean, the Front Office Manager, then Siddique, the Reservations Manager, followed by Amila, the Revenue Manager, and lastly Nashid, the HHonors Manager. I've been working with these guys for years and it's time I finally get to meet them in person!!

Huzam then checked me into the room, where Dean had assigned me a Deluxe Beach Villa, with an area of 300sq meters, including a bedroom/living room, outdoor terrace with sun loungers, a private courtyard with fountain, outdoor garden-bathroom with thatched bathing pavilion and open-air shower(separate shower and bath), as well as a beach front with a 10m long a private garden with plunge pool. Gosh.... it's simply amazing!!!!

Entrance to my Deluxe Beach Villa


My villa number & letter box


Main door is side by side


Private courtyard with fountain


Courtyard leading to the thatched bathing pavilion


Outdoor garden-bathroom with thatched bathing pavilion


Molten Brown bath gel and bath salt


Open air shower


Molton Brown toiletries


Open air garden concept basin


Complete Molton Brown toiletries


Desk with Nokia hp and wireless internet


Bedroom & Living room


Huge comfy sofa with lots of pillows


No bolster but have a huge ball to hug


Room with electronic remote-controll ed blinds


In the comfort of my living room


Outdoor terrace with sun loungers


26" LCD TV & hi-fi with ipod jack


Complimentary fruit basket


Pear is the fruit of the day!


Complimentary sparkling wine


Nespresso coffee machine


Coffee capsules for use with Nespresso machine. The different coloured capsules are the different coffee flavours offered by Nesspresso.


Full minibar


Mini basin in toilet


Dressing/ make up table


Walk-in warbrode with safe box


Bath robes and raincoats available


All-glassed bed/ living room


Seaview outdoor terrace with sun loungers


Footpath leading to the plunge pool


10m long private pool


Beach entrance to my villa


Hammock at the beach




DAY 5 (15 July 2008, Tuesday)

I got up early to catch sunrise, only to be disappointed by the heavy downpour. Put on my raincoat and went off for breakfast at the Atoll Market. Today isn't a very good day other than staying in the villa to laze around.

For a wet weather day, it's lovely to soak yourself in the thatched bathing pavilion in the huge bathtub with Morton Brown bath salt and bath foam.....

The weather got better in the afternoon, and I armed my camera and tripod for some pictures around the island. Here's the Spa Water Villas.




Nice blue sky and clear sea.


The main bridge connecting the 2 islands of the resort.


Dinner was "original Boston clam chowder" with "seafood truffle risotto" at Sunset Bar & Grill after the cocktail reception. The restaurant is setup on stilts on waters, and the outdoor seating with light breeze chilling your face feels so good!




However, I'm not too impressed with the clear chowder that I had, as I was expecting a thick & creamy soup that we normally have at this part of the world.



DAY 6 (16 July 2008, Wednesday)

Finally some great sunshine and fine weather today. I got up at early to catch the early rays of the sunrise around the island and at the Spa Water Villas.







After breakfast, I proceed to the Dive shop run by Sub-Aqua, which specialise in diving in many of the resorts in Maldives. As I've not been diving for months, they conducted a free orientation dive for me at the Rangali lagoon, where I was familiarised with the diving equipments, and the procedures. Martin, the instructor, familiarised me with 3 drills at 18m underwater: (1) recovering lost of regulator (2)out of air (3) removing face mask and clearing of mask.

Once I've got through them, we have a short dive around the area, with him showing me how the Ithaa Underwater Restaurant looks like from outside the glass! We also manage to see a 1m huge garoupa who is a resident around the area and a large stingray that camoflage perfectly at the seabed.

The 21 minutes orientation dive was a great way to build up my confidence for the afternoon dive. I then had lunch at Rangali poolside under the fine weather and watch some of the guests enjoying watersports at the beach. This is inside Rangali Bar.




Outside the bar is the open air seating area, next to the Infinity-edge pool.


There is great sunshine today, as you can see from the rich colours of the sea.




Seasports are popular here.



This is a glass bottom boat for corals viewing around the Rangali Island.


Going for boat trip


In the afternoon, the dive boat took the few of us to Mirihi Dropoff, about 20 mins from Conrad Maldives Resort.



There I followed Martin who led the few of us down to see the huge dropoff that goes over 30m deep. As usual, I see many fishes, but don't know what breed they are called!



By 40 minutes, I was running low on air and have to ascend. There, we snorkelled back to the dive boat and the rocky waves at the water surface made me felt a little seasick.

As I didn't want to miss such a great sunset for photography, I went out after a quick shower back at my villa.





Spotted a rainbow.............


Sunset Grill & Bar after sunset


Dinner at Vilu, a fine restaurant by the beach on 'the other island'.


I had a "Smoked and infused quail on a truffle nest" and a "pan seared Perigord goose liver served with mushroom Duxelle and black and white mushroom cappuccino". The starter is exceptionally good and the 4-sliced foie gras dinner portion is so so good that you wished u have more!



Extra virgin olive oil




DAY 7 (17 July 2008, Thursday)

It was another day of fine weather where I had made a reservation to visit Ithaa for the cocktail visit with champagne at 1100hrs. Ithaa, which means pearl in Dhivehi language, is the world's premier mostly acrylic undersea restaurant, secured five metres below sea level and with a 12cm thick glass, it provides a 180° view of reef and marine life. This spectacular restaurant is the world’s first all-glass, undersea restaurant.



The restaurant was designed and constructed by M.J. Murphy Ltd in 2004 in Singapore. When it was completed after 6 months, Ithaa was lifted onto an ocean-going barge and took 16 days to transport to the Maldives. At 175 tonnes, Ithaa was "sunk" with the help of 85 tonnes of sand ballast loaded into its belly. It was precisely maneuvered onto four steel piles which had been vibro-hammered four to five meters into the seabed. It was then secured to the steel piles with concrete and has an estimated life span of 20 years. Staffs will throw food into the sea from the top to 'lure' the fishes to swim around Ithaa so that guests get to see the fishes swimming around the glass restaurant.








After the wonderful eye-opener experience, I bumped into Dean at the Front Desk, who upgraded me from the Deluxe Beach Villa to the Deluxe Water Villa . I was overwhelm, needless to say. As usual, I'll let the pictures do the talking.



The bedroom in the water villa


Ocean view from the bed


Huge sofa with lots of pillow


I love the designer chair.... its so comfy


Bathroom with a seaview


Spacious open concept bathroom


Dual basin


Private sun deck with sun loungers


Private jacuzzi, sun deck & sun loungers


Nespresso coffee machine with coffee capsules


Luxurious Bvlgari toiletries


Designer water taps


Bang and Olufsen cordless phone


A lonely Gray Heron at my sundeck


Each villa has steps into the ocean


Fancy a soak in the warm jacuzzi pool?


The Deluxe water villas at night


Butler service is provided at all Deluxe Water Villas and they can send you to anywhere around the islands on the buggy. I had mine to send me to Mandhoo for dinner.

Dinner at Mandhoo is set on stilts 100 metres out to sea, next to the Spa Water Villas. The restaurant offers a balanced gourmet spa cuisine, made from organic ingredients. I had the special 'Four Element Dinner', which represents Air (energising), Fire (detoxifying), Earth (nurturing), and Water (relaxing) which was believe that in order for life and health to exist, the elements must be in balance.


Seared marinated beef Tataki, hot braised white radish 'Daikon', fried Shitake mushrooms, sour cream blended with Tahini paste


Instead of wine, the set dinner pairs healthy milk shake in with the food - White wellness shake (kiwi, banana, apple, yoghurt, vanilla powder, grated chocolate)

Sauteed calamari soaked in lemon grass and chilli, baked eggplantflavoured with tamarind chutney, wild honey and dill yoghurt dip sweet and sour pear and apple salad


Then another healthy yoghurt shake is served - Banana and yoghurt affair banana (lemon, honey, cold low fat milk, natural low fat yoghurt)

Flash broiled tasmanian salmon steak, bed of warm sauteed spinach lentil and fresh coconut, sweet potato and cracked pepper aioli


Now, time for a refreshing drink after the main course - Exotic fruit fantasy (pineapple, apple, fresh mint leaves)

Chilled coconut and sago soup with Maldivian fruits


Lastly is the tea selection of Darjeeling, Sencha Extra Special, Vanilla Ceylon, Ceylon Cinnamon or Earl Grey. The waiter then got me my butler, who came promptly to pick me up at the restaurant with the buggy. The service is exceptionally great.

At the Rangali Bar, there's a Casino themed night where you can try your luck, purely for fun of course. The winner of the table at the end of the day gets a glass of comlimentary cocktail of your choice. I was not too lucky at the casino tables as usual.....



DAY 8 (18 July 2008, Friday)

Again I woke up on another rainy morning. Didn't get to do much today but had Nashid to show me around the back of the house of on the island, the staff accomodation area, as well as the power generator for the entire island.

In the late afternoon, I made the best of the water villa by going for a snorkelling in the India Ocean from the wooden sundeck of my villa. Water current at the ocean at this time of the year is rather strong due to the North West monsoon.



On my last night at the resort, Nashid had arranged for a dinner with me, as well as the new Revenue Manager, Kevin, where we will be working closely with in the near future. We had wine and dine at Vilu Restaurant and Bar, where I Savoured on "grilled sea scallops served with Thai pomelo, mizuna salad", "smoked and poached black Angus beef tenerloin, served with thyme gnocchi and grilled vegetables" and "warm choclate fondant with raspberry & vanilla sorbet and a fresh red berry cockatail."

After a fantastic wine pairing dinner, Nashid and Kevin brought me for a short tour of the wine cellar which sits 6 feet below sea level and features a selection of 600 fine wines. A dinner at the Wine Cellar features a 5hrs dinner with the resort’s sommelier at the communal table fitted with interactive personal screens, while a 5-course dégustation menu is presented to by the Chef, with each dish paired with a matching wine.



DAY 9 (19 July 2008, Saturday)

It's always sad to leave paradise, but everything that has a beginning has an end. At the departure platform at the resort, Marcus, Amila, Dean and Nashid were there to send me off. What's better than having this kind of VIP treatment at the Conrad Maldives?




The 15-seater seaplane took me back to Male International Airport, where I caught my connecting flight on Sri Lanka Air to Colombo, and then on Cathay Pacific back to Singapore on an overnight flight.



MORE PHOTOS
Sri Lanka Photos
Maldives Photos Part I
Maldives Photos Part II



VIDEO
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island





FAST FACTS

Travel Insurance: $53
Flight: S$826
Seaplane: S$429
Accomodation: S$414
Day Tour: $89
Diving & equipment rental: S$143
Transportation: $30
Entrance fees: $27
Food & drinks: S$345
Shopping & miscellaneous: S$53
TOTAL EXPENDITURE: S$2,409



TRAVEL GUIDES / NEWS / MAGAZINES

Sri Lanka Tourism
http://www.srilankatourism.org/

UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Sri Lanka
http://whc.unesco.org/en/statesparties/lk/

Speciality Travel Guide
http://www.infohub.com/TRAVEL/SIT/sit_pages/sri_lanka.html

Adventure Lanka Tours
http://www.adventurelanka.com/

Tourism Sri Lanka
http://www.tourism-srilanka.com/

Tours Lanka
http://www.tourslanka.com/

Travel Sri Lanka.co.uk
http://www.travelsrilanka.co.uk/

Discover India Travel
http://www.discoverindiatravel.com/travel-srilanka.html
http://www.discoverindiatravel.com/srilanka-wildlife-tour.html
http://www.discoverindiatravel.com/srilanka-heritage-tour.html
http://www.discoverindiatravel.com/srilanka-cultural-tour.html

ALC Travel
http://alctravels.wordpress.com/itinerary/

Sri Lankan Tour Guide
http://www.srilankantourguide.com/

Acme Travels
http://www.acmetravels.com/

Colombo Tours & Activities
http://www.colombohotels.lk/tours

Travel Library
http://www.travel-library.com/tours/asia/sri_lanka/colombo/colombo_&_kandy_02_nts_tour.html

Ram World Travel
http://www.ramworldtravels.com/kandy-tour.html

Aseatica Tours
http://www.aseatica-tours.com/srilanka/royal-city-tour.html

Desha Tours
http://www.deshatours.com/tourpic.htm

Adventure Motocycle Tours
http://www.admo-tours.com/motorcycle/tours/asia/sri_lanka_tour.htm

Sri Lanka Motorbike Tours
http://www.srilanka-motorbike-tours.de/html/home_english.html

Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
http://conradhotels1.hilton.com/en/ch/hotels/index.do?ctyhocn=MLEHICI
http://www.hiltonworldresorts.com/Resorts/Maldives/gallery/index.html
http://www.conradmaldivesrangali.com/
http://www.hoteltravel.com/maldives/maldives/hilton_maldives_rangali.htm

Ithaa Underwater Restaurant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRXImYSisXc&feature=related

Tourism in Maldives
http://www.tourisminmaldives.com/maldives-holidays/maldives-facts.html

Maldives Tourism
http://www.maldivestourism.net/

My Maldives Travel Guide
http://www.mymaldives.com/

Maldives - The sunny side of life
http://www.visitmaldives.com/

Maldives.com
http://www.maldives.com/

Lonely Planet Maldives
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/maldives/

Maldives - Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maldives

Maldivian Air Taxi
http://www.maldivianairtaxi.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maldivian_Air_Taxi



TRIP REPORTS & BLOGS
Navy1048's blog
http://navy1048.blogspot.com/2008/02/kandy-1-day-tour.html



MAPS

http://www.srilankantourguide.com/images/mapSriLanka.jpg

No comments: