Day 1: Singapore - Hong Kong - Tsim Sha Tsui - Mong Kok
Day 2: Hong Kong - Mid Level - Happy Valley - The Peak - LKF - Soho
Day 3: Hong Kong - Nong Ping Village - Disneyland
Day 4: Hong Kong - Macau - Ruins of St Pauls - Monte Fort - Macau Tower
Day 5: Macau - Shenzhen - Sanya
Day 6: Sanya - Nan Shan - Tian Ya Hai Jiao
Day 7: Sanya - Wu Zhi Zhou Island - Nan Tian Hotsprings
Day 8: Sanya - Hilton Sanya Resort & Spa
Day 9: Sanya - Haikou - Singapore

THE PREPARATION
The original plan for this week's vacation was a 8-days backpack trip to Laos when I had booked my air tickets back in July 2007 for a return tickets to Udon Thani. A month later, tigerairways.com sent me an email and claimed that the air fare was refunded to me because they will cease flying to Udon Thani effective 31 October 2007. Disappointed, I decided to embark in another destination.... and ended up with this Hong Kong-Macau-Sanya trip when I chanced upon a $33 one-way air ticket to Hong Kong in an online promotion.
DAY 1 (15 March 2008, Saturday)
I arrived in Hong Kong International airport via Jetstar 3K691 at 1020hrs. The airport is quite similar to the T3 in Singapore, with tall and bright ceiling.

From airport to Hong Kong Island via the Airport Express was a breeze, it took less than 30mins and I purchased tickets for a Airport Express Tourist Pass plus the 3 days unlimited ride on any MTR for just HKD220 (S$39) inclusive of a HKD50 (S$9) deposit. The train was extremely clean and nice.

From Hong Kong Station, a free shuttle bus from the Airport Express brings me to the Conrad Hong Kong Hotel. I had a Harbour View room on the 50th floor. It's a pretty huge room compared to many of the small tiny rooms in most hotels in Hong Kong.



View from my room from the 50th floor.

Bank of China is just a short walk from the Conrad Hong Kong.

A train stop away from Admiralty Station is Central station, where I transfered to the classic Star Ferry to crossover to Tsim Sha Tsui.

View of Hong Kong's skyscrappers from the Victoria Harbour

KCR (Kowloon & Canton Railway) Tower

The legendary budget guesthouse known commonly as 'Chung King Mansion' in Tsim Sha Tsui area.

From Tsim Sha Tsui, I boarded the MTR to get to Prince Edward. The MTR is pretty much like Singapore's MRT.

Next to Prince Edward MTR, there is a street called the Flower Market Street, where many many flowers were on sale. The entire street is lined with flower shops and the variety of flowers sold by each shop is simply amazing.

I walked along the busy Nathan Road, grabbing some food along the way as I pass by each of the local stalls. Shortly after, I found myself in Sai Yeung Choi Street, famously known for the cheap electronics shops.

Wing Shing is a popular shop for most photographers to get equipments and accessories at great prices. Most components are a fair bit cheaper than those sold in Singapore. Furthermore, items purchased here are covered by international warranty.

By about 1930hrs, I arrived at the Avenue of Stars, where the famous Hong Kong movie stars are featured. Here's the legend Bruce Lee.

Just from where the Avenue of Stars stands, everyone was ready for the anticipated show that takes place nightly at 2000hrs - The Symphony of Lights. "The Symphony of Lights" has been awarded the world's "Largest Permanent Light and Sound Show" by Guinness World Records. This nightly spectacle combines interactive lights of 44 key buildings on both Hong Kong Island and Kowloon with musical effects to showcase the vibrancy and glamorous night vista of Victoria Harbour. Due to the foggy/hazy night, I didn't manage to get a clear, crisp picture of the show.

While the night is still young, I went over to Temple Street for some night bazaar shopping. There are many roadside stalls that sells stuffs on the street side, inclusive of hawkers and diners.

Very mango-ish dessert I had at one of the stalls.

Nathan Road near Yau Ma Tei at night.

DAY 2 (16 March 2008, Sunday)
It was a lazy Sunday but I didn't want to waste my time during holidays sleeping wasting my time away. I decided to get up and go out to explore more on Hong Kong Island since I had seen a bit of the Tsim Sha Tsui area yesterday.
I took the MTR to Cenral and got out of the station. The area was filled with many Filipino domestic workers, who happened to spend their off days out with their fellow country mates.

From Central, I went on the Mid-Level Escalators, which was claimed the world's longest escalator. The escalators passes through Soho and onto the Mid-Level residential area. In case you are not aware, Hong Kong is a very hilly country!


View of the skyscrappers from Mid-Levels.

I stopped for lunch at this roast meat joint, a dish where you won't want to miss when you are in Hong Kong.

What is a visit to Hong Kong without taking a ride on the double decker tram through the vibrant, colourful city? It cost a flat fee of HKD2, where you board from the rear of the tram, and pay as you alight from the front of the tram.



Betting on horse racing is a lifestyle of most Hong Kong people on the weekends. I happen to chance across this Happy Valley Racecourse when I was touring around on the double decker tram ride.

Moving on, I alighted at Pacific Place and walked through Hong Kong Park and get to the Lower Tram Terminal where the Peak Tram awaits. As the tram goes higher, the better the scenery was.

Fisheye view of the Peak Galleria from the Peak Tower Viewing Gallery.

Hong Kong at the golden light.

Self Portrait..... not bad eh? haha.

After seeing sunset from the Peak Tower, I went on to Madam Tussard's Gallery where I met some of the famous stars and legends, such as Andy Lau, Cecilia Chung, etc.... including some that had aleady left this world.







Going up to the Peak by the Peak Tram was fast, however going downhill by bus was a long ride. The roads are twisty and narrow, but the young bus driver was a 'schumacher wannabe'.... He pedders on the gas at every oppurtunity, despite the downhill flow, brakes late into the corners, and steps on the gas deeeeep in the corner to prepare for the exit out. This goes on for every single corner he takes. When the bus reached the foot of the hill, a couple alights and the girl vomitted the moment she got out of the bus!
I survived the crazy downhill ride, and yet had a hearty meal at a restaurant at Lan Kwai Fong, followed by desserts at Soho.

DAY 3 (17 March 2008, Monday)
Through the Concierge's recommendation, I had a filling Tim Sum breakfast at Luk Yu Teahouse. In Hong Kong, its known as a 'Yum Cha' session where you eat baskets of Cantonese dishes freshly steamed and served as the waiter/waitress walks around the restaurant broadcasting what they are serving.
Nong Ping 360 cable car was a great experience on Lantau Island. The magnificent view overlooks the airport as well as few islands from the hanging cable.

Nong Ping Village is however quite touristic.

I guess many people go to Po Lin Monastry, which is just next to Nong Ping Village, to offer prayers at the Big Buddha instead.

On the same Island, I headed over to Tung Chung MTR station onto Disneyland via the Disney Line MTR. It was definately an eye opener to see the 'Mickey Mouse' logo almost everywhere..... e.g. handrails, windows, sewage covers, etc.




Finally on arrival in Disneyland. It's a very kiddish theme park, with most of the shows and rides designed for kids, not many exciting rides are built for adults.


Goofy is popular with kids!

Tomorrowland has a few nice rides.

Remember him? Buzzlight year from Toy Story!



Adventures of Pooh and friends.

Tarzan's treehouse

Fisheye view of the castle at night

Cinderella Carousel

And the grand finale to the Disneyland experience!

After Disneyland, I went back to Ladies Street at Mong Kok for some last minute shopping since this is my last day in Hong Kong. I guess I had already missed the food and the shopping there!!!
DAY 4 (18 March 2008, Tuesday)
See what they serve in the Mac Donalds for breakfast? It's sausage pasta!

After checking out, I hopped on a 1245hrs TurboJet ferry to Macau and checked into Central Hotel. It's a no-frills basic hotel for budget travellers.

It's not a hotel where you will want to stay in it for too long. Hence upon unloading my baggage, I took my camera bag and went out for sightseeing. The first bite I had in Macau was the Portugese Eggtart. Oh my, the thought of the eggtart has the creamy buttery fragrant lingering around my mouth now!
The reason I chose this hotel is due to its location. It's only a 1 minute walk to Institute of Civic & Municipal Affairs Bldg and Senado Square.



And from Sendado Square, its just a 10minutes walk through the narrow walkways to get to the Ruins of St Paul and the Monte Fort overlooking the bustling colourful city.



By nightfall, the vibrant lightings from the numerous casinos add life to the entire city.



For views of the Pearl River Delta and the city lights by night, nothing surpasses the Macau Tower. The Tower is 338m high at its highest point and it is the 10th tallest free-standing tower in the world. I took the high speed elevator to the 59th floor for dinner at 180° Lounge & Grill. I had a luscious steak with a stunning view of the city.

A trip to Macau isn't complete if you have not visited the casinos. I went in to take a look at the Grand Lisboa Casino, which is not too far from my hotel. It has about 7 levels of gaming tables, lounge, bartop shows, and slot machines. The layout is wide and spacious at every table. Great experience!
DAY 5 (19 March 2008, Wednesday)
I got up early and went to the Macau Ferry Terminal to get a ferry ticket on Turbo Jet to Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport, where I took a domestic flight on China Southern Airways to Sanya FengHuang Airport.

Basically, I spent the whole day travelling today. By the time I arrived at Hilton Sanya Resort and Spa, it was 1830hrs. I was very happy with the Ocean View room that I had, and a bottle of complimentary wine offered by the hotel. The room features an open concept bathroom, huge bathtub, rainshower tap, seaview balcony, 42 inch LCD TV, etc.... what more could you ask for?




Grilled seafood buffet dinner with Angela, Jeanie & Sandra at LaLa Bar.

And a walk around the resort for some night shots followed after a sumptious dinner.




DAY 6 (20 March 2008, Thursday)
I boarded the blue minibus from the mainroad outside the hotel to get to Nanshan Cultural Toursim Zone. Angela has helped me prepare a voucher from a travel agent that gives me discounted rates at admission, where I only pay RMB120 (S$24).
Across the bridge to the Dharma door of nonduality.

Buddhist Stone Pillar in Nanshan Cultural Tourism Zone.

Giant incense being offered to the Nanshan Guanyin.

This holy GuanYin Statue stands at 108m tall on the South Sea. The three figures stand seperately for peach, wisdom and mercy.

Longevity Valley is 2000m up to the mountain covered with tropical plants, with Buddha Amitayus, Bag of Water Origin, Longevity Steps, etc. along the way.

This is very heart warming when I was at Dove Square.

NanShan Temple is the core of the Buddhism Park.

At the seaview terrace waiting for sunset.

A short bus ride away is the Tianya Haijiao Tourist Zone. I find this destination very over-rated. There are numerous rocks, with different size and shape, scatter along the silvery beach. Among them, these two, which are respectively engraved with Chinese characters "Tianya Haijiao" (end of the earth and corner of the sea) and "Nantian Yizhu"(the huge rock that emerges from the sea, making a "corner") are most famous.


According to legend, two lovers form two hostile clans once escape here. They swore that they would never separate no matter where they traveled and what happened. Constantly pursued by troops from both clans, they were forced to leap into the sea from this spot. People believe that this couple later changed to two huge rocks, which stand facing the sea. Moved by the loyal love between the two lovers, today, many couples come here to declare their love and promise that they would go to the "end of the earth" for one another.
Sunset at the beach.

By nightfall, I was back in Sanya City for dinner at Ah-Er Eight Treasure Chicken. It's a local delicacy where everyone knows. They serve rich herbal tonic chicken in a claypot. Together with Tsing Tao Draft Beer, I complete my meal.

DAY 7 (21 March 2008, Friday)
Today I got up at 0545hrs to be in time for some sunrise shots at the beach and around the hotel prior to having a hearty breakfast at 'The Big Kitchen'. This shot was taken with a few exposure and with fast moving clouds, coupled with a slow shuttle speed, I managed to overlay few shots and achieved the effect I wanted.





Breakfast at 'The Big Kitchen'

After breakfast I walked out of the hotel and managed to find this cabby driver Mr Huang. He offered me a whole day charter tour for RMB180 (S$36), covering WuZhiZhou Island, NanTian Hotsprings, Sanya City, and back to Yalong Bay.
I hopped on and off I went to Wu Zhi Zhou Island for diving. The island offers a wide range of seasports, but its somehow quite commercialised. Most of the tourist are well-to-do Chinese Nationals. Entrance fee was RMB128 (S$25) and a 30min diving session with gear rental cost RMB680 (S$135).


I would say the dive is more for beginners who has zero experience in diving as the instructors are coaching each student on a 1 to 1 basis. The diving gears are lousy and inappropriately setup. There is no depth gauage, and no alternate regulators on the BCD. I put on my gear and headed straight down to the sea bed, which is about 10-15m deep.


Nantian Hot Spring is famous for the mineral substances and trace elements found in the water, which is said to help improve skin quality, revitalize the nerve system and build up the body. There are a total of 61 delicately designed pools, each with a different theme / flavour.

Kid's fun hotsprings

Geomantic hotsprings

Tea hotsprings

This is perhaps the most interesting spa pool. The tiny fishes will eat off the dirt on your skin while it massages you with a ticklish feeling. The pool is shallow enough for you to lie down and allow the fishes to nip on your entire body!

I had dinner in Sanya City, followed by some late night shopping at Bu Xing Jie and Wang Hao Supermarket to stock up some local products.


DAY 8 (22 March 2008, Saturday)
It's a day I decided to spend at the resort itself enjoying myself in the pool bar sipping alcohol while seated inside the pool, playing water basketball, beach volleyball, beach soccer, etc to pass time. This is what you call a real holiday!


Dinner at .Ize Fine Dining Restaurant was great, considering Foie Gras, Lamb Shank, and Merlot to go with the dining experience.
Shawn Yong Bang's Charity Concert was meanwhile held at the beach area and my dining experience was filled with great music throughout. Here are some firework shots I managed to get at the end of the concert.


DAY 9 (23 March 2008, Sunday)
Time flies whenever I travel. 9 days have passed and I'm on my way back home, back to work, the usual routine. I called Mr. Huang to arranged for me a limo transfer to the Hai Kou International Airport. He got me a car for RMB350 (S$69) for a 3.5hrs journey to the airport, where I boared flight TR937 for Singapore.
MORE PHOTOS
Hong Kong Photos
Macau & Sanya Photos
FAST FACTS
Air tickets: $367
Accomodation: $387
Transportation: $194
Entrance fees: $178
Diving & underwater photography: $182
Shopping, food, drinks & miscellaneous: $407
Travel Insurance: $58
Flu Vacination: $30
TOTAL EXPENDITURE: S$1803
TRAVEL GUIDES / NEWS / MAGAZINES
Hong Kong Tourism Board
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/worldwide/index.jhtml
Wiki Travel - Hong Kong
http://wikitravel.org/en/Hong_Kong
Hong Kong 12hk.com
http://www.12hk.com/
Lonely Planet Hong Kong
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/china/hong-kong/
Fodor's Hong Kong
http://www.fodors.com/world/asia/china/hong%20kong/
Smart Travel Asia
http://www.smarttravelasia.com/hongkong.htm
Footprint Travel Guide
http://www.footprintguides.com/Hong-Kong/
Timeout
http://www.timeout.com/travel/hongkong
Hotel Travel
http://www.hoteltravel.com/hongkong/guides.htm
China Guide
http://www.chinaguide.org/guide/hong-kong-tourism/
Hong Kong MTR
http://www.mtr.com.hk/
Transport Department
http://www.td.gov.hk/
TurboJet
http://www.turbojet.com.hk/chi/home/index.html
New World First Ferry
http://www.nwff.com.hk/
Disney Hong Kong
http://www.disney.com.hk/en/index_flash.html
Walk Hong Kong
http://www.walkhongkong.com/
Macau Government Tourist Office
http://www.macau.gov.mo/tourist/tourist_en.phtml
http://www.macautourism.gov.mo/index.html
http://www.macauheritage.net
Macau Official Insider
http://www.macau.com/
Macau Resorts
http://www.macauresorts.com/
Virtual Tourist
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Macao/Concelho_de_Macau/TravelGuide-Concelho_de_Macau.html
Passplanet
http://www.passplanet.com/HK/Macau.htm
Macau International Airport
http://www.macau-airport.gov.mo/en/index.php
Shun Tak Travel
http://www.shuntaktravel.com
China Travel Service (Hong Kong) Limited
http://www.ctshk.com/english/index.htm
Macau Tower Convention and Entertainment Centre
http://www.macautower.com.mo/eng/main.asp
Macao Daily News
http://www.macaodaily.com/
Hotel Lisboa
http://www.hotelisboa.com/
East Asia Hotel
http://www.yp.com.mo/eastasiahotel/english.html
Auguster's Lodge
http://www.augusters.de/facilities-e.html
Heli Express
http://www.helihongkong.com/
Shenzhen Airport
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/guangdong/shenzhen/airport.htm
Sunny Sanya
http://www.sunnysanya.com/
Virtual Tourist
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/China/Hainan_Sheng/Sanya-1003843/TravelGuide-Sanya.html
About Sanya
http://www.ineedhotel.com/sanya/tour/index.html
Getting around Sanya
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/hainan/haikou/getting-there.htm
Sanya Travel Guide
http://www.world66.com/asia/northeastasia/china/hainanisland/sanya
Wikipedia - Sanya
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanya
China Vista
http://www.chinavista.com/travel/sanya/main.html
Travel China Guide
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/hainan/sanya/
Tian Ya Hai Jiao
http://www.chinavista.com/travel/cape/cape.html
Nan Tian Hotsprings
http://www.chinasanya.com/Artcle/0105/2005112/141742.htm
MAPS
Hong Kong Map
http://www.maps-of-china.net/p_hongkong_map.html
http://www.justchina.org/china/hongkong/maps.asp
Macau Map
http://www.maps-of-china.net/p_macao_map.html
http://www.justchina.org/china/macau/maps.asp
http://www.macau.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=116&lang=english&gclid=CK6_5rjHhpICFQQFlwodW201EQ
Zhu Hai Map
http://www.maps-of-china.net/c_zhuhai_map.html
http://www.chinahotelsreservation.com/zhuhai_map/
Shenzhen Map
http://www.maps-of-china.net/c_shenzhen_map.html
http://www.arnoldmagnetics.com/plants/powder/aml_shenzhenmap.htm
http://www.chinahighlights.com/shenzhen/map.htm
http://www.maps-of-china.com/shenzhen-ow.shtml
Sanya Map
http://www.maps-of-china.net/c_sanya_map.html
http://www.sunnysanya.com/hainanislandmaps/hainanislandmaps.asp
http://www.world66.com/lib/map/handle?loc=asia|northeastasia|china|hainanisland|sanya
No comments:
Post a Comment